Sunday, June 26, 2011

What happened to my lazy summer?

Warning: whine ahead...
I was so looking forward to summer and just lazing around with my boy and getting some crafty things done. Instead since school ended I have packed up a classroom, packed up, moved, and unpacked a house, written a 15 page paper, and worked about 20 hours a week. Boo. I told two of my students that I wanted to see them this summer. One to tutor and the other to just see (she is a total sweetie pie). But with this schedule I just dont know where I am going to fit it in. Of course I will but it just seems so busy! And this week I have an appointment for me and one for the baby as well. ::deep breath::

Okay, whine over. In other news I got a job! YAY! I am feeling a little conflicted over it actually. I absolutely loved teaching my kinders last year. I thought that was where I wanted to be for a very long time. But because I had to find another position I went ahead and applied for all the jobs that I qualified for. Luckily I got a job for next year teaching sixth grade reading (remedial). I love reading and I am totally excited to teach sixth graders. But I am also kind of sad to be leaving the babies I am used to. And a little frustrated that I have to start all over again. By starting all over again I mean that I have to restock my classroom library with chapter books (vs. picture books), create a more "middle school" themed room, and figure out my whole classroom management system again. Gah. But I am trying to be positive. Here's a list of the positives right now:
1) I got the first job I interviewed for. That says a lot and really boosts my confidence.
2) I love sixth graders, usually they are really sweet and still enjoy school.
3) I can have much more interesting and in-depth conversations with sixth graders.
4) Sixth graders do not need to be taught how to wash their hands, tie their shoes, or hold a book. That is something of a relief (although sad in a way).
5) I can share my love of Harry Potter and other juvenile fiction with them!!
6) I suspect that planning for sixth grade will be a lot less insane than planning for kinder. But I dont know that for sure.

So those are all great things! I need to focus on them instead of wondering if I should continue applying for jobs and try to get a primary position. And a friend of mine also reminded me that "it doesnt have to be forever. If you dont like it you can always go back to primary later." So true. So I am excited for the challenges to come!

In the toddler (not baby anymore )-:) front I definitely do have a toddler. He is 15 months old now and I fear for the "terrible twos" if this is only 1. He has a molar and two other teeth coming in and the molar has been coming in for a month now! Needless to say this has made him a whiney fussy teething monster lately. Poor baby. We have been using an amber teething necklace since 3 months old and I have been trying to give him Advil before bed to try and help him sleep better. I really (REALLY) hope that molar comes in soon. But I guess that means we have three left though. He isnt walking yet. He takes up to 6 steps, but only when he wants to. He will do it on his own time I'm sure. No rush for that here.


Here's to hoping that I get a few of those lazy summer days soon...



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Sponsored by Free Web Space